We know that you need accurate and up-to-date information about the effects of the coronavirus in the state and our region. The Dawson County News is making this article available free to non-subscribers as a public service. Please consider supporting our work by subscribing to the Dawson County News.
Following recommendations from state leaders, area school systems are closing and many events have been canceled. This list will be updated as Dawson County News receives new information.
- Dawson County Schools will be closed until March 31.
- Georgia public colleges, including UNG, will close until Sunday, March 29, and finish the remainder of the semester remotely online.
- Lanier Tech will suspend classes and extend spring break until Monday, March 23.
- Lighthouse Christian Academy will be closed through March 27.
- Kindergarten Roundup scheduled for March 27 will be postponed until further notice.
- The Dawson County Tax Commissioners Office has been closed to the public. Though the offices are closed, officials say they are still processing payments and answering phones. www.dawsoncountytax.com.
- Closures have been announced for Dawson County Senior Services, and Parks & Recreation.
- The City of Dawsonville has not announced any closures, but Mayor Mike Eason asked citizens to attend an upcoming City Council Meeting via the city's Facebook live stream.
- The Georgia General Assembly has suspended its legislative session indefinitely.
- The March 25 joint meeting with the Board of Commissioners and the Long Range Planning Committee has been cancelled.
- The Planning Commission regular meeting for April 13 has been cancelled.
- All Georgia High School Association (GHSA) sports have been suspended until March 27.
- Upcoming NASCAR races the Atlanta Motor Speedway have been postponed.
- The Dawson County Superior Court has declared a "Judicial Emergency" and announced that no jury trials will be held in the court until April 3, 2020.
- Criminal calendar scheduled for March 17 will be continued to a later date.
- Civil calendar scheduled for March 18 will be continued to a later date.
- Traffic court for March 18 has been postponed.
- North Georgia Premium Outlets will close until March 29 due to coronavirus.
- All branches of the Chestatee Regional Library System will be closed through March 30.
- All Regal movie theater locations, including the location in Dawson, are closed beginning March 17 until further notice.
- The Georgia Racing Hall of Fame and the Gordon Pirkle Room will be closed through March 31.
- The Georgia Mountain Regional Commission's council meeting scheduled for March 26 has been cancelled.
- Dawson County News' Best of Dawson Event scheduled for March 25 has been postponed.
- The Outdoor Expo scheduled for March 14 at the Gainesville Civic Center has been cancelled.
- The Bowen Art Center's 20th anniversary Gala scheduled for March 27 has been postponed.
- Goodwill of North Georgia's Multi-Employer Job Fair scheduled for April 2 has been cancelled.
- The Presidential Preference Primary election will be moved from March 24 to May 19.