Firefighters arrived on scene last week when a tractor trailer full of used furniture caught fire outside the transfer station off Burt Creek Road.
Emergency Services Director Billy Thurmond said nobody was injured in the short-lived blaze Feb. 18, but much of the trailer was destroyed.
“It appeared the furniture inside the trailer caught fire,” Thurmond said. “Probably from a cigarette that may have been dropped in.”
Thurmond added that transfer station employees “did a good job of fighting the fire before we arrived.
“They used their fire extinguishers and water hoses to knock down most of the flames prior to our arrival,” he said.