Paint the Town Purple events:
• Relay Rod Run Car Show from noon – 3 p.m. at United Community Bank’s 400 branch
• Car wash from 10 am. - 2 p.m. at Dogs and Hogs
• Yard sale from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. at Kroger
• Krispy Kreme donut sales throughout the county
• Car wash from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. at Bethel United Methodist Church
• Luminaria and car raffle tickets from 8:30 a.m. to noon at SunTrust Bank
• There will also be Relay events at Walmart and Moe’s Southwest Grill
Get ready to Paint the Town Purple by helping local teams raise money for next month’s Relay for Life event.
From car washes and yard sales to car shows and donut sales, several activities and events are planned for Saturday throughout the community.
Suzanne Hendricks, area director for the American Cancer Society, said the goal is to raise awareness for Relay for Life, while also helping the teams meet individual fundraising goals.
“The most important goal for Saturday is to create awareness so the entire community knows we’re only a month away from Relay for Life,” she said.
Relay for Life, the American Cancer Society’s signature activity, raises money for cancer research. Dawson County Relay for Life will be held the night of May 20 at Dawson County High School.
“Our hope is that while the community is out running errands this Saturday, they’ll see the different Paint the Town Purple events throughout the entire day,” Hendricks said.
The youth group at Bethel United Methodist Church will hold a car wash at the church beginning at 10 a.m., according to Sandy Overmyer, captain of the church’s team.
The group hopes to raise $1,000.
Overmyer’s daughter, Tori, a five year cancer survivor, spoke to the congregation on Sunday to encourage support for Relay for Life.
“We had a really good response. The parents wanted their kids to know what she went through,” Overmyer said.