By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
Lighting likely to blame for Christmas Eve barn fire
Homeowner thankful his house was saved
Placeholder Image

A local man is grateful that his home was spared in a fire that leveled his barn early Christmas Eve morning.

"It was raining so hard that the cable was out so I was sitting on my bed drinking a cup of coffee and my whole bedroom lit up in a red glow," said Alan Redmon.

Within minutes, emergency personnel were at his Henry Grady Highway home and kept the flames from spreading to his house.

"The barn is about 70 feet from my house. By the time I saw the fire, the vinyl siding was already starting to flame up," Redmon said. "They saved my house."

Dawson County Emergency Services Director Lanier Swafford said lighting likely caused the fire, which was reported just after 7 a.m. Dec. 24.

Redmon said he can't thank the department enough for their hard work and service to the community.

"I just want to say thank you and say I very much appreciate our county services, and they're out working on Christmas Eve," he said. "They're my heroes."

He also wants to thank all of his neighbors that reported the fire.

"They said they received over 30 calls on this," he said.

Redmon filed an insurance claim for his losses, which also included a diesel tractor and Polaris Gator that were housed in the barn.

"The power and the cable came back on later that afternoon, so we were able to spend Christmas at home together," he said. "I'm truly glad to have my house and my family."