By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
Fire displaces couple
Red Cross called for assistance
5 Fire pic
No one was injured in the fire that displaced a couple, three dogs and one cat on Flat Creek Drive last week. - photo by Michele Hester Dawson Community News

A Flat Creek Drive home appears to be a complete loss after a fire Oct. 26 in downtown Dawsonville.

"There's heat damage through the entire home," said Dawson County Emergency Services Battalion Chief Robby Lee.

The fire started in the living room about noon. Deputy Chief and Fire Marshal Tim Satterfield said the homeowner suspects a candle may be to blame for the blaze.

"She said she had a candle burning and was cleaning and had gone outside for a little while," he said. "She thinks the candle must have got turned over."

The living room sofa was on fire when the homeowner returned, he said.

Firefighters were in the area when the blaze was reported and arrived within a minute, according to Billy Thurmond, director of emergency services.

They were able to contain the flames, but could not save the single-wide home.

No one was injured, but the fire displaced a couple, their three dogs and one cat.

"The dogs were away at the groomer," Satterfield said.

He added that the homeowners were insured and the Red Cross had been called to assist.

Friends2Follow