By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
Dahlonega Gold Museum offers intrigue with murder trial escape room
I-Gold museum escape room pic.jpg
The Dahlonega Gold Museum - Photo courtesy Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

The Dahlonega Gold Museum State Historic Site will be offering its award-winning escape room experience throughout the month of October, including Gold Rush weekend.

Escape the Gold Museum: Hung Jury recently received the award for Most Innovative Special Program from Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites. The escape rooms will be offered at 5 p.m., 6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Oct.19, 20 and 27.

The escape room is based around a real 1855 Dahlonega murder trial. After the case resulted in a hung jury, the Honorable Judge David Irwin decides to lock participants, or “jurors” in the jury room until a unanimous verdict is decided.

Participants will look for clues, solve puzzles and examine real historical documents as they work their way through the escape room and deliberate until they reach a unanimous agreement.

Only after a verdict is delivered to the bailiff will the judge let the jurors out of the room.

The Dahlonega Gold Museum is located in the town square in Dahlonega. The museum was recently renovated and reopened to the public on June 18.

Because the museum previously served as the acting courthouse of Lumpkin County from 1836 to 1965, site staff worked to capture the ambiance of a court session that takes visitors back in time to the 1940s.

The design phase of the renovation took three years and construction officially began in January of 2018. The new exhibits were based on three specific themes: the Dahlonega Gold Rush, the Dahlonega branch of the Federal Mint and the Lumpkin County Courthouse.

Admission to the museum is $8.50.

The cost to participate in the escape room is $15 per person. Tickets must be paid for in advance. Please call the museum at (706) 864-2257 to make reservations.

For more information, visit

The historic site is operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.