By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
JV Tigers come back to beat Union
S-JV Football pic1
Trey Pruitt looks to pass during last weeks comeback win against Union at home. - photo by Amy French Dawson County News

The Dawson County junior varsity football team picked up another win at home last week when they overcame a 14-point deficit to beat the Union County Panthers.

Dawson won 30-28 after getting behind on a couple of mistakes and trying to stay ahead of the read option offense of the Panthers.

"I thought the defensive coaches did a good job at half getting the kids ready to play and shutting them out in the second half. We were really proud of the players for continuing to play hard and being able to pull out a win," said Coach John Kenny.

Union scored first in the first quarter with 4:24 to go after a Tiger turnover on their first possession.

Dawson was able to answer quickly on the following possession. Ethan Cameron and Robbie Rarick had good runs before Trey Pruitt connected with Cameron for a touchdown on a 45-yard pass.

Cole Dennis added the extra point to tie the game at 7.

The Panthers started their next drive from the 32-yard line and made their way down the field before scoring on a pass play to go up 14-7.

The Tiger offense could not get anything going and on the Panthers next drive they went for it on 4 and 3. Kelton LeBaron was able to knock the ball down on a pass play to the end zone and the Tigers took over on downs.

On the next series, the Tigers had a bad snap that was recovered in the end zone by the Panthers for a touchdown and another extra point to go up 21-7 with 3:40 until the half.

The Tigers wasted no time and after a Cameron run for a first down, Pruitt connected with Chance Armstrong on a 50-yard touchdown pass to make it 21-14.

The Panthers again fought back, this time with a 70-yard touchdown pass to put them up 28-14.

Dawson would not relent. Rarick returned to the kick to the 40-yard line and Pruitt again hit Cameron for a long completion. Dennis put a field goal in to bring the score to 28-17 headed to half.

The defense came out strong in the second half, stopping the Panthers first possession with a sack for a loss and turnover on downs.

Pruitt went to Armstrong and then Cameron to add another touchdown and Dakota Wells put in the extra point to bring the Tigers to within four points at 28-24.

The defense held again and after the Panters punted it back to the Tigers, Pruitt would throw another touchdown pass to Armstrong to take the lead with 2:21 left in the game.

The extra point was no good, but the Tigers held onto the win at 30-28 after a goal line stand in the fourth quarter.

The Tigers are now 4-1 and will travel to Lumpkin County for a 5 p.m. game tomorrow.