Final Region 8-AA Standings
North Oconee 221
Rabun Co. 69.5
Dawson Co. 66.5
East Jackson 43
Oglethorpe Co. 38
Walnut Grove 37
Fannin Co. 25
Banks Co. 15
Head Coach Arron Haynes’ Dawson County High School girls’ track team finished fourth in Region 8-AA last week.
The team amassed a total of 66.5 points to finish just three points behind Rabun County. Winning the region was North Oconee with 221 points, just ahead of Jefferson with 111.5 points.
The big story from the region meet was the qualifying of the 4x100 relay team of Judith Hall, Gracie Hovan, Kimberly Wallace and Kerstin Hlinski for the state meet in Albany this weekend.
Also qualifying for the state meet were Hlinski in the 400-meters and Madalyn Walters in the 3200-meters.
Dawson County picked up valuable teams points in several events. Listed below are the placers, their total number of points, and their times.
• Discus: Hayden Wilson, 4th, 5 points, 96’10”
• Long Jump: Kimberly Wallace, 4th, 5 points, 15’4”
• Triple Jump: Gracie Hovan, 6th, 3 points, 31’1.75”
• High Jump: Kerstin Hlinski, 8th, 1 point, 4’6”
• Pole Vault: Jade Hyde, 6th, 2.5 points, 7’00”
• 3200-meters: Madalyn Walters, 2nd, 8 points, 12:10.06
• 4x400 relay: Judith Hall, Tiffanie Rowan, Morgan Bennett and Kerstin Hlinski, 5th, 4 points, 4:37.90
• 4x400 relay: Leslie Barnett, Kayla Schandera, Morgan Williams and Rachael Glockner, 8th, 1 point
• 4x100 relay: Judith Hall, Gracie Hovan, Kimberly Wallace and Kerstin Hlinski, 2nd, 8 points, 52.47
• 1600-meters: Madalyn Walters, 3rd, 6 points, 5:44.00
• 400-meters: Kerstin Hlinski, 2nd, 8 points, 1:02.43
• 100-meters: Kimberly Wallace, 4th, 5 points, 13.35
• 100-meters: Gracie Hovan, 7th, 2 points, 13.66
• 800-meters: Rachael Gloeckner, 5th, 4 points, 2:45.26
• 800-meters: Summer Lewis, 6th, 3 points, 2:46.52
Walters will begin her quest for the state title in the 3200-meters this Thursday at 7:50 p.m.
The qualifying heat for Kerstin Hlinski (400-meters) will also be on Thursday at 4 p.m. If Hlinski makes it through, the finals will be held on Saturday at 1:25 p.m.
The 400-relay team of Hlinski, Wallace, Hall and Hovan will begin their road to the state finals with a qualifying heat on Friday at 4:20 p.m. The 4x100 finals will be held on Saturday at 1 p.m.
The girls All-Classification state meet will be held at Hugh Mills Stadium in Albany.