Dr. Herbert W. Robinson, 95, of Oakwood, died July 19, 2012.
Born Dec. 25, 1916, in Dawson County to the late Charlie and Lizzie Robinson, he lived in Dawson County until he moved to Oakwood in 1971.
Dr. Robinson was a 1933 graduate of Dawson County High School, graduated from North Georgia College when it was a two year college, and earned his B.A., masters and doctor of education degrees from the University of Georgia.
His college grade point average was a perfect 4.0 for his entire seven years of college and he was a member of seven academic honorary societies including Phi Beta Kappa.
Dr. Robinson began his career in education in 1935 in a one room school called Amicalola in the Dawson County School System.
He also taught at the Lumpkin School after which he served as principal of the Dawson County Schools from 1947-1965.
In the 1950s, in addition to his duties with the Dawson County School System, he taught at the University of South Carolina, and has also taught at the University of Georgia, North Georgia College and Brenau College.
Gainesville College opened in 1966 with Dr. Robinson serving as Dean of Student Affairs. He later became Dean of College Relations where he remained until his retirement in 1979.
The University System of Georgia officially bestowed to him the titles of Emeritus Dean and Professor of Political Science.
With the opening of a new elementary school in 1988, the Dawson County Board of Education dedicated and named Herbert W. Robinson Elementary School in his honor and in 2010 Gainesville State College dedicated the new ballroom in his honor, the Herbert W. Robinson ballroom.
Dr. Robinson served as president of the Georgia Association of Secondary School Principals and served as president of the Georgia Retired Teachers Association.
A United States Navy veteran of World War II, for the past 69 years he was a member of Etowah Lodge #222 F&AM, where he was also past master and served as secretary for many years.
Dr. Robinson was a member of the First Baptist Church of Dawsonville where he taught a Sunday school class bearing his name since 1939 and had held many church positions and was a Deacon Emeritus.
His sisters, Agnes Robinson, Lorene Robinson, Laura Stowers, Leon Hendrix; and brothers, Ralph Robinson, Reid Robinson and C.I. Robinson, Jr., preceded him in death.
Survivors include his wife of 74 years, Blanche Robinson of Oakwood; sons and daughter-in-law, Daryl and Elaine Robinson, of Roswell, Rodney Robinson of Gainesville; grandchildren, Reid Robinson, Erin Robinson; nieces, Marsha Robinson, Sharon Faucett, Judy Adams; nephew, Gary Robinson; various other relatives also survive.
Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. July 21 at the First Baptist Church of Dawsonville with Dr. Jim Gaines officiating. Interment followed in the Dawsonville Memorial Gardens.
Donations were requested made to the Herbert W. Robinson Endowment Fund, c/o Gainesville State College, P.O. Box 1358, Gainesville, GA 30503.
Bearden Funeral Home of Dawsonville was in charge of the arrangements.