Dawson County Emergency Services is encouraging people to practice fire safety as cold weather approaches after two recent fires at Dawson County residences claimed the structures.
A fire on Friday, Oct. 21 - just before 6:30 a.m. - claimed a residence on Reagan Trail off of Sweetwater Juno Road. The fire originated in the chimney and the home was fully involved before DCES was on the scene. All of the occupants escaped without injury, but the entire structure along with its contents were consumed by the fire.
Another fire on Flat Creek Drive in Dawsonville on Wednesday, Oct. 26 around noon was contained by DCES personnel within five minutes. However, the damage from smoke and heat was such that the structure will likely be a total loss.
No one was injured in the fire - which was believed to have started in the living room.
We encourage citizens to be extra careful during the winter months and especially as the holiday season approaches, said Deputy Fire Chief Tim Satterfield. All families should have a home escape plan in case of fire.