By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
Fire caused by heater
Placeholder Image

A gas heater is being blamed for a fire, which burst out at a vacant commercial building at the intersection of Hwy. 53 and War Hill Park Road on Jan. 12.

Dawson County Emergency Services extinguished the blaze before the fire spread to the rest of the building.

We got it stopped as it reached the ceiling, said Battalion Chief Robby Lee.

Lee explained that three vacant businesses in the building share a common attic, which allows air to flow freely. If the fire had spread to that point, the entire building could have caught fire.

According to Lee, the owner of the building was attempting to use a LP gas heater as a heat source. They tried to turn it off, but couldnt get control of the flames, he said.

Clyde Wilson, owner of the building, watched as the events unfolded. Nobody got hurt, he said. Thats whats important.

Friends2Follow