By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
3 injured when teen driver collides head-on with fire engine
Placeholder Image

The teen driver that collided head-on with a Dawson County fire engine last week remained hospitalized on Tuesday with injuries she sustained in the crash.

"We heard yesterday that she was still in [the intensive care unit]," said Robin Stone, spokeswoman with the Georgia State Patrol's Cumming Post.

Charges are pending against the 17-year-old, who Stone said was attempting to pass a car that had slowed and was moving on to the shoulder for the oncoming fire engine when the crash occurred just after 11:30 a.m. Friday.

"She was attempting to make a pass in a no passing zone when she hit the fire engine head-on," Stone said.

State patrol did not release the teen's name, saying only that she had a Cumming address and had been rushed by ambulance to Northeast Georgia Medical Center.

Three others, including the two emergency workers onboard the fire engine, received minor injuries in the crash, emergency personnel said.

They were treated at Northeast Georgia Medical Center and released Friday afternoon.

Family members also took a third driver to the hospital for evaluation, according to Stone.
"She was following behind [the teen] and her car was struck with debris from the crash," she said.

David McKee, spokesman for Dawson County, said the fire engine was responding with its emergency lights and sirens running to a call of an "unconscious, unresponsive, not breathing" patient when it collided with the teen's 2004 Chrysler Sebring near the entrance to Sundown Way.

Hwy. 53 East in Dawson County, between War Hill Park and Dawson Forest roads, was shut down for several hours as state troopers investigated the collision and crews worked to remove the fire engine from the 30-feet embankment where it came to a rest.

Dawson County Commission Chairman Mike Berg said the fire engine was relatively new, having been purchased in in 2011.

He said the matter would be turned over to the county's insurance carrier.