Firefighters from two counties battled a residential blaze in freezing temperatures Tuesday morning.
The three-story home off Upper Sassafras Parkway in northwestern Dawson County is considered a total loss, according to Chief Tim Satterfield with Dawson County Emergency Services.
Director Lanier Swafford said residents of the home reported a chimney fire around 6 a.m.
By the time emergency officials arrived on scene, the home was heavily engulfed with flames showing through the roof.
"Everyone inside the home and the family's dog were able to get out," Swafford said. "They are OK."
Crews from three Dawson County stations along with Gilmer County worked the fire in temperatures that had dipped into the upper teens in the overnight hours.
Water used to douse the flames froze as it hit the ground, causing a slippery terrain for emergency workers, who remained on the scene into the afternoon hours, according to officials.