A fire that may have started in the laundry room Saturday afternoon destroyed the home of Dawson County Sheriff Billy Carlisle.
"It's a total loss," said Dawson County Emergency Services Chief Lanier Swafford.
No one was injured in the blaze that was first reported just before 5 p.m.
"It looks like one person was home at the time, the sheriff's son," Swafford said.
According to Swafford, the fire may have started in the laundry room.
"It was called in that flames were in the laundry room," he said.
Crews from Dawson and Forsyth counties worked to contain the fire.
Officers on the scene said emergency personnel responded within two to three minutes of the initial call.
Flames could already be seen coming from through the roof.
Carlisle arrived home a short time later.
Chaplains and local pastors were also on scene to comfort the family in their time of loss.
Check back to Dawsonnews.com for updates to this story.