By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
Tigers take down Indians
Dawson County wins 29-14 over Chattooga
Dawson v. Chattooga pic 2
Ryan Glass runs in his second touchdown reception against the Chattooga Indians on Sept. 1. - photo by Emma French

The Dawson County Tigers moved to 2-0 on Friday with a win over the Chattooga Indians in the Dawson home opener. 

The Tigers and Indians took turns with little success moving the ball before Dawson’s fourth possession in the first quarter that started from their own 34. 

After a short Coey Watson run, Watson found Ryan Glass through the air for a touchdown with 2:55 to play in the first. 

Dawson went for the 2-point conversion, again going to Glass to make it 8-0.

The Indians and Tigers exchanged three and outs that were extended by penalties on both sides. 

Dawson v. Chattooga pic 2
Coey Watson runs for the Tigers in the Dawson County home opener with Chattooga. Dawson won 29-14. - photo by Kolton Brumbelow for the DCN
The next Dawson possession ended with a Watson punt to the Chattooga 5 yard line.

The Indians picked up a false start penalty, were stopped short and had a pass broken up by Noah Brock. On fourth and long deep in their own territory, Chattooga opted to go for it by attempting a fake punt.

Dawson took over on downs with first and goal. 

Vaughn Clark ran it in from the 3 yard line. A Peyton Allen extra point made it 15-0 with 7 minutes in the second quarter.

The Indians again went three and out as did the Tigers.

On the next Dawson possession, the Tigers fumbled and it was recovered by Chattooga at the Tiger 48 yard line.

The drive ended with an almost 50 yard field goal attempt that was blocked by the Tigers and Dawson would go to half up 15-0.

Chattooga received the ball to start he second and found success with the direct snap on multiple plays to Devin Price.

A personal foul on the Tigers extended the drive and a reverse to Price put them in the end zone to make it 15-7 with 6:59 in the third.

Dawson then went to Watson and Clark again on the ground before Watson found Glass once more—this time for a 70 plus yard touchdown pass to put the Tigers ahead 22-7.

The next possession by Dawson saw Trey Pruitt enter the game at quarterback and Clark running over Indians, but the Tigers could not get back to the end zone.

Taylor Swofford and TJ Wilson picked up a big stop at the line after an Indian first down and Brock broke up a pass to force a punt just before the fourth quarter.

Another Tiger fumble would give the Indians excellent field position at the 20.

Logan Barnes had a destructive tackle for a loss on third and long, but picked up a controversial personal foul on the play giving the drive some life. 

The Indians were able to run one in to make it 22-14 with 4:24 to play.

On the next Dawson drive, Clark continued to run successfully up the middle before breaking out for a 38 yard touchdown run with 1:16 to play.

A Brock interception on the next Indians drive put the game game out of reach.

The Tigers are now 2-0 and have a bye on Sept. 8. They will face West Hall at home on Sept. 15.