Last year brought many championships and state playoff runs to the athletes in Dawson County. Community support is at an all-time high as witnessed during the boys' basketball Elite Eight game in Dalton.
Following are a list of the major accomplishments of Dawson County athletes and team from 2012.
• Varsity boys' basketball team reached the Elite Eight and finished with a 25-8 record.
• Dawson County High School varsity football team reached state playoffs with a 6-5 record.
• Varsity softball team reached the second round of the state playoffs and was the region champions.
• Jenna Abbott signed a softball scholarship with Auburn University.
• Carly Gilreath signed a basketball scholarship with USC-Aiken.
• The Dawson County High School girls cross country team finished in 16th place at the state meet.
• Dylan Forester finished ninth overall at the state cross country meet.
• Dawson County High School boys cross country team qualified for state.
• Varsity boys' soccer team made it to the state playoffs.
• Varsity girls' soccer finished the season with an impressive 17-3 record and an Elite Eight showing.
• Riverview Middle School Eagles were the runners-up in Mountain League soccer.
• Riverview Middle School Lady Eagles captured the Mountain League soccer championship. The team defeated Dawson County Middle School in the championship game. The team finished the season with a 9-0-2 record. The team is 30-0-2 over the last three years.
• Wrestlers send three to state traditionals at Gwinnett Arena. Representing the Tigers were: Cory Jenkins (132 pounds), Preston Adams (160 pounds) and Evan Kells (182 pounds).
• Dawson County Middle School football team lost the championship game to Clear Creek by a 12-0 score. The Tigers completed the season with a 5-2 record.
• Dawson County High School varsity track team saw two girls compete at the state meet in Albany. Hayden Wilson and Kristy Martin both competed in the discus event.
• Varsity girls' basketball coach Steve Sweat picked up his 400th career win.