By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
BOE approves $2000 one-time supplements for staff members
Board of Education Sign.JPG
The Board of Education building at 28 Main Street. - photo by Jessica Taylor

During the April 12 meeting of the Dawson County Board of Education, board members approved a $2000 one-time supplement for all staff members who have been with the school system since the beginning of 2022 or longer. 

According to Superintendent Damon Gibbs, the state will fund supplements for most of the school system’s staff, and with approval from the board the school system will contribute funding to extend those supplements to all of the staff members who have been employed with the system since January 1. 

“One of the things in the amended budget the governor signed is a $2000 one-time supplement for most of our staff members funded by the state,” Gibbs said to the board members during the meeting. “What I’d like to do tonight is ask for support to give all of our staff members $2000 that have been employed with us in the spring semester.” 

According to Gibbs, with approval from the board every staff member who has been employed with the school system through the spring semester will receive the money in their May payroll. 80 percent of the funding for the supplements will be paid through state funding, and the remaining 20 percent will be funded by the school system’s general fund balance. 

Board members voted unanimously to approve the $2000 one-time supplements for all staff members.