William Cole Dennis didn’t win the countywide spelling bee by studying a list of long words.
Dennis said he edged competitors by doing what he loves: “Reading all the time.”
Dennis, a Riverview Middle sixth-grader, said that was the trick that won him the top spelling prize Jan. 28 and a ticket to the district spelling bee in Marietta later this month.
“You read these words, so you see them all the time, and that helps,” said Dennis, who won for spelling the word “coincidence.”
Bill Zadernak, principal at Riverview Middle School, said Dennis is “a great kid, and we’re glad to have him.”
“I’m really proud of all our kids who participated, and the fact that we’ve got a kid that’s going to represent the system, that’s just awesome.”
Runner-up at the countywide spelling bee Jan. 28 was Kaylen Grace, a student from Robinson Elementary School. Lauren Treadaway was her alternate.
The school-level spelling bee winners and alternates included:
• Black’s Mill Elementary — Matthew Mayfield and Dawson Dominy
• Kilough Elementary — Michael Pippin and Sara Rossback
• Riverview Elementary — Kyler Limburg and Hannah Shirley
• Dawson County Middle — Katherine Greer and Ansley Costley
• Riverview Middle — Barry Thurmond
The district spelling bee will be held at 10 a.m. Feb. 26 at Mabry Middle School in Marietta.