Sen. Steve Gooch invites high school seniors residing within the 51st Georgia State Senate District to apply for the University of North Georgia Military Scholarship.
The prestigious award allows 42 incoming University of North Georgia students to work toward bachelor's degrees and commission as Georgia Army National Guard second lieutenants after graduation.
The scholarship is worth approximately $70,000 over four years and pays for uniforms, tuition, books, fees, room and board.
"The University of North Georgia is one of only six senior military colleges in the nation, and we are very lucky to have this institution of excellence right in our backyard," Gooch said. "This scholarship program awards our best and brightest students for their hard work and perseverance in a time when college costs are rapidly rising. I am eager to assist with the scholarship application process and encourage students or their parents to contact my office with any questions."
As part of the application process, applicants will need to secure a letter of recommendation from a Georgia state representative or senator. Other requirements include:
• The applicant must be a freshman entering the Corps of Cadets at the University of North Georgia;
• The applicant must be a legal resident of Georgia;
• The applicant must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative high school GPA;
• The applicant must be accepted for admission to the University of North Georgia in a "regular admit" status;
• The applicant must meet the physical and health standards for serving in the Georgia Army National Guard;
• The applicant must agree to repay the scholarship by serving part-time in the Georgia Army National Guard as commissioned officers for at least four years after graduation.
The scholarship deadline is Feb. 1.
For more information about this scholarship program, visit www.ung.edu/cadet/scholarships.
Requests for letters of recommendation from Gooch can be made by contacting his Georgia State Capitol office at (404) 656-9221.