View Mobile Site
  • Bookmark and Share

ASK THE EXPERTS

Pesticides can be deadly

POSTED: July 1, 2009 4:00 a.m.

The symptoms of pesticide poisoning are quite variable and, unfortunately, may mimic other types of illness.

  

Common symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, headache, dizziness, weakness, confusion, excessive sweating, chills, thirst, chest pains, breathing difficulty, muscle aches or cramps.

  

These symptoms are common with many illnesses or with overindulgence in food or drink.

  

If these symptoms occur during or after pesticide activities, pesticide poisoning should be suspected. Some pesticides are toxic in very small amounts. Victims may not realize that they have been poisoned.

  

If pesticide poisoning is suspected, get medical help immediately. Do not leave the victim alone. When taking the patient to the doctor or hospital, take the pesticide label or the entire container along.

  

First aid for poisoning

  

• Protect yourself and stop the pesticide exposure as quickly as possible.

  

• Call 911.

  

• If the victim is not breathing, administer artificial respiration at once.

  

• Consult the pesticide labeling if possible. Directions for first aid will be on the front panel.

  

Otherwise, follow these guidelines;

  

Pesticide on skin:

  

• Drench skin as quickly as possible with plenty of water. Any moderately clean water can be used if not contaminated with pesticides. 

  

• Remove contaminated clothing. Wash with soap if available.

  

• Dry victim and treat for shock. If skin is burned, cover with clean, loose bandage or cloth.  Do not apply ointments to burned skin.

  

Pesticide in eye:

  

• Wash eye quickly, but gently, with clean water for 15 minutes.

  

Inhaled pesticide:

  

• Move victim to fresh air. 

  

• Warn other nearby people. 

  

• Loosen clothing that restricts breathing.

  

• Administer artificial respiration if necessary.

  

Pesticide in mouth or swallowed:

  

• Rinse mouth with plenty of water. 

  

• Give large amounts of water or milk (up to one quart) to drink. 

  

• Consult the label before vomiting is induced. 

    

• Do not give liquids or induce vomiting to anyone who is unconscious or convulsive.

  

Call the Poison Control Center (800) 222-1222.

  

Clark Beusse is the Dawson County extension agent.

 

COMMENTS

  • Bookmark and Share

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

FEATURED PHOTOS

9/11 ceremony held at Stati...
Members of the Dawson Count...
Motorsports Park plans grou...
The groundbreaking ceremony...
System honors award winners
James Holton, far left, and...
Event benefits animal shelter
Dawsonville Mayor James Gro...
Elliott finishes second at ...
Chase Elliott continues his...
Governor recognizes county ...
Gov. Nathan Deal recognized...
System awarded
From left to right, Payroll...
Tigers 0-2 on season
Tiger wide receiver Dalton ...
Robinson educator named tops
Robinson Elementary Teacher...
Elliott finishes fifth
Chase Elliott signs an auto...
 

AP VIDEO


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2014 Dawsonnews, Dawsonville, GA. All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...